We emphatically believe that excellent teachers are the most important element of excellent schools. Therefore, we have thoughtfully designed every aspect of our schools to support, develop, respect, guide, nurture, and empower our teachers.
Harlem Village Academies teachers are energized by working every day with an amazing team of talented, hard working, fun, intelligent colleagues, who are passionate about educational excellence.
Teaching at Harlem Village Academies is an opportunity to work with extraordinary educators, in a school that provides unparalleled support to teachers. Teachers are provided with professional office space, computers, and an administrative support staff that is helpful and positive. Our teachers commit to a longer school day and year and a strong sense of personal accountability for student achievement results.
We are passionate about serving the needs of our students, and equally passionate about supporting each teacher to learn and grow as an educator.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should review our website and download our teaching brochure to ensure their educational philosophy aligns with Harlem Village Academies. Then click here to submit your resume and cover letter to our internal recruiter. Minimum two years full-time teaching experience is required. (Candidates with less than two years experience: we urge you to contact us after your second year of teaching, and we welcome you to visit any time.)
Following is a general overview of some of the faculty responsibilities at Harlem Village Academies. A more detailed description of responsibilities will be provided during the interview and hiring process.
- Develop and teach engaging, rigorous lessons
- Establish classroom routines and follow through consistently
- Develop effective lesson plans, materials, and assessments aligned with Harlem Village Academies standards
- With guidance, analyze assessment data and use data to develop tutoring plans and inform instruction
- Collaborate with colleagues to share best practices and ensure student mastery of standards
- Maintain close relationships with families, including phone calls and conferences
- Tutor those students needing extra help on a daily basis, and serve as an Advisor to 12-15 students
Outstanding candidates will possess a drive for excellence, a strong work ethic, and a willingness to do whatever it takes to help our students succeed. Following is a general overview of some of the qualifications of faculty candidates at Harlem Village Academies.
- Minimum two years full-time teaching experience, preferably in an urban setting
- Outstanding instructional skills, including the ability to engage, motivate and challenge students
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain a warm, strict, orderly classroom environment
- Demonstrated expertise in subject area and demonstrated student achievement results
- A strong sense of personal accountability for student achievement
- A belief that all students can learn at a high level and should be held to high academic standards
- The ability to communicate effectively with parents
- The ability to work well with colleagues as a positive team member
- A highly positive, solution-oriented, results-driven, high energy attitude
Harlem Village Academies offers a competitive salary (higher than DOE scale). Other benefits include:
- Medical insurance for employees and a portion of the cost of dependants
- Employer funded Flexible Spending Accounts for qualified medical/dental expenses
- Paid life and disability insurance
- 403(b) savings plan with an employer match
- Employee Referral Program
- Extensive professional development opportunities
Harlem Village Academies is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.
Immediate Job Openings
- Chief Operating Officer
- Data Analyst
- Development Coordinator
- Finance Associate
- New Site Manager (Temporary)
2012 Summer Openings
- 5th - 8th Grade Summer School ELA Teachers
- 5th - 8th Grade Summer School Math Teachers
- Summer Operations Intern
2012-2013 School Year Job Openings
HVA Elementary Schools
- Founding Associate Elementary Teacher
- Founding Kindergarten Classroom Teachers
- Founding Kindergarten Physical Education
- Founding Special Education Coordinator
- Founding Music Teacher
- Founding Administration Manager
HVA Middle Schools – Gr. 5-8
- 5th – 8th Grade Art
- 5th – 8th Grade ELA
- 5th – 8th Grade Math
- Administration Manager
- Middle School Writing Teacher
- Special Education Coordinator
- Special Education Teacher
HVA High School
Click here to submit your resume and cover letter.